I told someone about the amazement of the stars over Mt. Shasta and found this photo. I figured I probably better look up something about the Milky Way to justify it. What I found was NASA’s current missions page.
It includes a surprising number of diverse “missions” – satellites, probes and expeditions – that I found to be very reassuring and in several cases, very timely and each delivering some very cool data!
- Coolest customer? SOHO – the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory.
- Most likely to warn of alien invasion? NuSTAR. (launched in May)
- Most probable to touch off an alien invasion in the next month? Curiosity.
- Favorite blog subject? Themis. (observing the Aurora Borealis)
- Best mission to a used-to-be planet? New Horizons.
- Most likely to kick off heavy-duty investment in space? Moon Mineralogy Mapper and the Mini-RF.
I hope that we can please continue to find funding as a nation explore our universe … I’m sure that we can look at our priorities or maybe even some of us can afford a little more in taxes to pay for this.
Let me also say: “Well done NASA, you definitely know how to name a mission.”